HistoryEditGuy Gardner is a software salesman in the city of New Metro. When a dying alien named Abin Sur, member of the Green Lantern corps, crash-landed his ship on earth to select his replacement, the power ring chose Guy for his ability to overcome great fear. The ring and its abilities were explained to him, and he inherited the mantle of Green Lantern. The ring then transported him to the Green Lanterns' planet, Oa for orientation and training. Acting as a galactic police officer, it was his job to serve and protect all life in Sector 2814. Once he returned to earth, he soon found others with unique abilities and helped to form the Justice League, consisting of him, Flash, Atom, Fire and lead by Martian Manhunter. When New Metro is hit by a tornado believed to be man-made, the Justice League suspects a new metahuman cryokinetic named Tori Olafsdotter. They soon discover that the disaster was created by Tori's boss, Dr. Eno using the alias Weatherman. While Tori stops Weatherman from destroying the city with a tidal wave, Green Lantern uses his ring to subdue Dr. Eno and turns him over to the authorities. He and the other heroes offer her a costume and offer to let her join the team. She agreess and begins to use the codename "Ice".
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Indomitable Will: Like many Green Lanterns, he possesses an incredibly strong will.
- Green Lantern Ring Mastery: Guy's constructs are amongst the most powerful.
While using a Green Lantern power ring, Guy gains the following abilities:
- Energy Projection: The ring can be used to fire blasts of Oan energy or create weapons such as projectiles. The ring can project beams of force powered by the will of the user.
- Force Field: The ring can create various force fields of various sizes and shapes to protect the wearer and others around him.
- Energy Constructs: The ring can form constructs of Oan energy. A Green Lantern can create any particular items or construct that they can imagine as long as they have the willpower necessary to will it into existence. The constructs are made out of bright green energy, which is a tangible form of pure willpower, and they exist only as long as a Green Lantern is fueling it with their willpower. Items created by the rings are not indestructible and are only as powerful as the willpower of the Green Lantern creating them. The types of constructs usually reflects the ring wearer's personality.
- Energy Absorption: The ring can absorb and store other energies. Doing so does not replenish the normal store of energy the ring has. A ring that needs recharging but contained a store of electricity could only discharge that electricity.
- Flight: By the manipulation of anti-gravitons and directed molecular movement, the ring allows the user to fly at incredible speeds. In atmosphere, a Green Lantern has been known to fly as fast as Mach 10 in atmosphere by creating an aerodynamic envelope around his body. Towing others, usually within a bubble, his speed is limited to the twice the speed of sound or 1440 mph. In space, Green Lantern's speed can be significantly greater and has been known to approach 99% of light speed in normal space. Flight has been shown to be velocities far exceeding light speed. In atmospheres, air friction is not a hindrance since heat is either absorbed or reflected by the ring's field.
- Superhuman Strength: A Lantern using constructs created by the ring becomes capable of lifting/moving tremendous weights far heavier than 100 tons with little effort.
- Wormhole Generation: The power ring grants its wearer access to wormholes in space, enabling the ring wielder to rapidly cut time and distance needed for transport. The Guardians established at least one known wormhole to Oa, which required the use of a power ring to enter.
- Galactic Encyclopedia: The rings are programmed with the vast knowledge of the Green Lantern Corps.
- Universal Translator: The power ring can translate virtually any language in the universe.
- Material Alteration: The Green Lantern's uniform is not made out of fabric. It is created by the Power Ring whenever the wearer wills to wear it. It automatically appears over the wearer's normal clothing, and vanishes when the wearer wills to return to their civilian attire. Each Green Lantern is able to adjust their uniform to fit their own needs, personalities and whims.
- Emergency Beacon: A Green Lantern in distress can use the ring to activate an emergency beacon,contacting any Green Lantern in case of an emergency.
- Yellow Impurity: The rings are unable to directly affect yellow.
- Recharge Protocol: The ring can run out of power and needs to be periodically recharged using a Green Lantern Power Battery.
- Green Lantern Power Battery
- Green Lantern Ring