Jor-El was born in 1935 on Krypton, where he was raised alongside his younger brother Zor-El by their father, Seyg-El. Jor-El fell in love with and married a woman named Lara. He eventually became Krypton's most renowned scientist and even became a member of the Science Council. After years of trying to conceive a child, Jor-El and Lara finally had a son named Kal-El. Due to Rao's Prophecy foretelling the destruction of Krypton, Jor-El sent the Stones of Power (containing the Kryptonians' vast knowledge) to earth. Jor-El became aware that Krypton was about to be destroyed as a result of Zor-El igniting Krypton's core and also due to General Zod's attempt to conquer its people. Jor-El realized that he would be unable to prevent the end of his world. Before Krypton perished, he decided to send Kal-El to Earth to find the Stones of Power. To ensure Kal-El's safety, guidance and destiny in the Kryptonian way, Jor-El copied his brainwave patterns into his son's spaceship, before dying along with Lara and the rest of their people. Many years later, Kal-El (now named Clark Luthor) was able to locate the Stones of Power and create the Fortress of Solitude, but his adoptive father Lionel Luthor was able to suppress Jor-El's essence in the Fortress using electronic equipment. After the Jor-El of Earth-1 transported him to the Fortress of Earth-2, Clark Luthor approached the Fortress' console and called out to his Kryptonian father, who welcomed his son home, revived by the effects of the Jor-El of Earth 1. He was presumably destroyed when his earth and the majority of it's residents (exept for Chloe Sullivan) were destroyed by The Monitors.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Solar Energy Absorption: Although it isn't known whether or not he ever had the opportunity to do so, like all Kryptonians, he would develop superhuman abilities while operating under a yellow sun and lose or not aquire them while under a red sun.
- Enhanced Vision
- Heat Vision
- Micro Vision
- Telescopic Vision
- X-Ray Vision
- Superhuman Durability
- Healing Factor
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Strength
- Enhanced Vision
- Nigh-Omniscience: As an artificial intellience, Jor-El contains all knowledge collected by the Kryptonians from the 28 known galaxies.
Kryptonian: While empowered by yellow solar energy, he would gain various weaknesses unique to his Kryptonian physiology.
- Green Kryptonite: All Kryptonians are vulnerable to exposure from green Kryptonite. Immediate exposure causes great discomfort, while prolonged exposure will prove fatal.
- Red Solar Radiation: Absorbing the energy of a red sun slowly replaces the stored energy of a yellow sun, preventing kryptonians from aquiring their powers and removing existing powers.
- Magic: Like all Kryptonians powered by the yellow sun, he is vaulnerable to various spells.
- Blue Kryptonite: Neutralizes all Kryptonians' powers as long as it remains in their vacinity.
- Gold Kryptonite: Injuries inflicted on Kryptonians by or during brief contact with Gold Kryptonite leaves permanent wounds (neutralizing the healing factor which would otherwise heal the wound immediately), while direct physical contact can strip them of their powers and abilities permanently and prolonged exposure can kill a Kryptonian simular to the green variety.
- Red kryptonite: Red K removes most of a Kryptonian's inhibitions, causing them to act on any impulse, regardless of whether it's right or wrong, but won't cause them to do anything that they didn't already want to do (at least on some level).
- Gemstone kryptonite: Able to infect only Kryptonians. It grants them the power of hypnotic persuasion enabling them to verbally compel others (and even themselves) to obey their commands.
- Deactivation: He can be disabled by a sophisticated enough computer system.
- Kryptonian Technology: Jor-El is one of Krypton's greatest scientists and therefore has access to the most advanced Kryptonian devices.