Ray Palmer is a High School science teacher who was, at some point in his life, involved in an accident during a science experiment that left him with the ability to reduce his size to any level, including the subatomic level. He was recruited by J'onn J'onzz, the Martian Manhunter to join his Justice League, using the alias Atom. The other members include Fire, Green Lantern and Flash. When the terrorist, Weatherman begins attacking New Metro by manipulating the weather, the JLA comes to believe it's a new meta-human cryokinetic named Tori Olafsdotter, but soon determine that she's innocent. Atom uses his size reduction power to investigate the Meteorological Institute and helps to determine that Tori's boss, Dr. Eno is the Weatherman. While Tori stops Weatherman from destroying the city with a tidal wave, Weatherman is Apprehended. He and the other heroes offer her a costume and offer to let her join the team. She agrees and begins to use the codename "Ice". He and Ice are currently in a relationship.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Size Alteration: Able to shrink his body to varying degrees (including the subatomic level). As the Atom, Ray can assume any size from his normal six-foot stature down to sub-microscopic, although he generally deems a height of six inches as most functional.
- Microscopic Stability: For some reason, Ray's physiology allows him to not explode when he is miniaturized unlike other living things which explode after a short time of being miniaturized.
- Mass Reduction: Able to instantly decrease his molecular density and weight to whatever degree he desires and return it to normal at will.
- Strength Retention: He is able to retain the equivalent strength of his normal size and build.
- Physics: Ray Palmer has a Ph.D. in physics.